Jiri – Everest Base Camp/ 24 days, 5550m

The journey starts with a long drive (7-8hrs) from Kathmandu to Jiri (1905m). It offers panoramic view of eastern Himalayas like Ganesh Himal, Langtang Himal, Dorje Lakpa and some other peaks during the drive. Besides this you can see beautiful villages and rivers. Jiri is one of the most beautiful town with the inhabitant of different ethnic groups of people – although this is the home of an ethnic group called the Jirels. It was the main gate way into Everest Region for the climbers and trekkers until there was not the airport in Lukla. Nowadays only 5% of all trekkers who attempt the difficult trek to Everest Base Camp start at Jiri. The other 95% choose to fly into the small airstrip at Lukla, thus cutting off a week of difficult but beautiful trekking.

Trek from Jiri it still popular among some people because of less crowded trail and diverse culture. The pioneer climbers and all early Everest expeditions-including the one led by John Hunt that put Tenzig Norgay and Edmund Hillary on the summit in 1953-passed through Jiri. So Jiri is also called the “Gateway to Mt. Everest”. A company of the Nepal Army is stationed in town and visitors’ equipment and backpacks might be searched. There are a number of lodges available along either side of the main road mainly in Jiri Bazaar.

While doing the trip this way you have enough time to acclimatize but physically you must be in a good health and condition. It’s a bit challenging trek with more ups and downs – however it is worth.

Trip Hightlights:
  • Duration: 24 Days
  • Type of Trek: Teahouse
  • Max Altitude: 5550m
  • Minimum Pax: 1 +
  • Mode of travel: Land transport/airplane (back flight)
  • Grade: Challenging
  • Season: Oct-Dec, Mar-May
Proposal of the itinerary: (B-breakfast, L- lunch, D- dinner)
  • Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m), airport pick up, hotel transfer, trip briefing and welcome dinner (d)
  • Day 02: Sightseeing at Basantapur Durbar Square and Swyambunath  (B)
  • Day 03: Drive to Jiri (187km, 8hrs, 1905m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 04: Trek to Bhandar (7hrs, 2220m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 05: Trek to Sete (7hrs, 2575m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 06: Trek to Junbeshi (7hrs, 2670m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 07: Trek to Nunthala (7hrs, 2220m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 08: Trek to Bupsa (6hrs, 2360m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 09: Trek to Surke (5hrs, 2290m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 10: Trek to Phakding (6hrs, 2640m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 11: Trek to Namche Bazar (7hrs, 3440m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 12: Explore around Namche Bazar   (B, L, D)
  • Day 13: Trek to Tengboche (6hrs, 3870m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 14: Trek to Dingboche (6hrs, 4410m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 15: Explore around Dingboche   (B, L, D)
  • Day 16: Trek to Lobuche (6hrs, 4930m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 17: Trek to Gorak Shep (4hrs, 5190m), after lunch trek to Kala Patthar (3hrs, 5545m) and back to Lodge   (B, L, D)
  • Day 18: Trek to Everest Base camp (5365m) and descend to Pheriche (7hrs, 4240m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 19: Trek to Khumjung (7hrs, 3780m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 20: Trek to Manjo (5hrs, 2800m)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 21: Trek to Lukla (6hrs)   (B, L, D)
  • Day 22: Flight back to Kathmandu/ free afternoon for relax   (B)
  • Day 23: Sightseeing at Boudhanath, Pashupati and Bhaktapur Durbar Square, farewell dinner (B, D)
  • Day 24: Transfer to airport, departure (B)

Galeria

Jiri – Everest Base Camp/ 24 days, 5550m Jiri – Everest Base Camp/ 24 days, 5550m