Kaligandaki Valley/ 16 days, 3800m
The Kaligandaki valley is claimed to be the deepest in the world due to the drop between the tops of Dhaulagiri and Annapurna, both over 8000m. The trip to Kaligandaki valley trek starts after a drive or flight to Pokhara. The trek itself begins from Nayapul after one hour of driving from Pokhara. While doing this trek you have an opportunity to explore typical Gurung and Thakali culture. Besides this the trip offers you beautiful view of mountains, Dhaulagiri glacier and landscapes. The path of this trek goes through some villages and on the side of Kaligandaki river. After two days of trek you can enjoy the amazing view of sunrise on mountains from Poon Hill and Tatopani where you can enjoy the natural hot springs.
Marpha and Kagbeni are nice villages with some monasteries and Thakali culture heritage. Marpha is the delightful apple capital in the nation, the apple grown here is considered to be the finest quality not only in the local level but also in the international level as well. The forests and fields around Marpha are and were considered to be the most fertile for different crops like buckwheat, corn, beans, peas, wheat as well as all sorts of vegetables. Thakali people leaving here have their own habits and traditions.
The last destination before Jomsom is Muktinath which is a sacred place both for Hindus and Buddhists and also one of the most important pilgrimage sites of Nepal. It is a great example to the world of a sacred place shared in harmony by devotees of two world religions. Muktinath is one of the most ancient Hindu temples of God Vishnu.
Since few years there is a road in most parts of this trek. The jeeps and buses can get here – so it is also possible to come here by land transport. The trail itself is not so difficult and the ascents are gradual. There are plenty of good teahouses on this trek, so there is flexibility on where you stay depending on speed of progress.
- Duration: 16 Days
- Type of Trek: Teahouse
- Max Altitude: 3800m
- Minimum Pax: 1 +
- Mode of travel: Airplane/private transport or bus
- Grade: Moderate/easy
- Season: Oct-Dec, Mar-May
Proposal of the itinerary:
(B, L, D – breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu (1350m), airport pick up, hotel transfer, trip briefing and welcome dinner (D)
- Day 02: Drive or flight to Pokhara (820m) (6hrs of driving or 25min flight) (B)
- Day 03: Drive to Nayapul (1hrs, 1070m) and trek to Tikhedhungga (4hrs, 1540mtrs) (B,L,D)
- Day 04: Trek to Ghorepani (6hrs, 2860m) (B, L, D)
- Day 05: Early morning hike to Poon Hill (3210m) – sunrise and panoramic view of mountains, after breakfast trek to Tatopani (7hrs, 1190mtrs) (B, L, D)
- Day 06: Trek to Kalapani (7hrs, 2530m) (B, L, D)
- Day 07: Trek to Marpha village (6hrs, 2670m) (B, L, D)
- Day 08: Trek to Kagbeni (5hrs, 2800m) (B, L, D)
- Day 09: Trek to Muktinath (5hrs, 3800m) (B, L, D)
- Day 10: Exploring around Muktinath (B, L, D)
- Day 11: Trek to Jomsom (5hrs, 2720m) (B, L, D)
- Day 12: Flight back to Pokhara (20min), free afternoon (B)
- Day 13: Sightseeing around Pokhara (B)
- Day 14: Drive or flight back to Kathmandu (B)
- Day 15: Sightseeing around Kathmandu valley, farewell dinner (B, D)
- Day 16: Transfer to the airport, departure (B)